Episode 61 – BPM and Process Lifecycle
We had a couple of episodes where we discussed the Solution / Process Lifecycle, but this time we look at it from the perspective of Business Process organizations. What we see is a distinction between the different disciplines that are needed to deliver a full solution and there are organizations that see a “them” and “us” between those.
Unfortunately, I see a lot of these organizations also display a “mercenary approach” (“I am just here to create this artifact”) and don’t show the ownership of their part of an solution architecture and the following implementation, roll-out, and monitoring steps. This hinders them being seen as valuable parts of the team that changes the larger organization, the IT landscape, the capabilities of the enterprise. And I have seen BPM orgs struggling because of that lack of acceptance by others.
In this episode of the What’s Your Baseline Podcast we talk about:
- Phases of a BPM / Transformation project
- Understand, Innovate, Transform, Roll-Out (& Governance), Monitoring, Continuous Improvement & Optimization
- Where Processes and BPM (as discipline) intersect
- Process Planning & Strategy (incl. bus caps)
- Analysis of Business Processes
- Design and modeling of Business Processes
- Process Implementation
- Process Monitoring and Controlling
- Process Refinement
- Other considerations in Process projects
- IT landscape
- Process definitions / library / standards
- Cross-functional alignment
- Responsibility and ownership
- Sponsorship and executive alignment
- Measures and dimensions for evaluation
- Awareness and buy-in from community
- Culture and strategy for people development and enablement
- Team to assemble
- Deliverables to expect
Ep. 61 – BPM and Process Lifecycle – What's Your Baseline? Enterprise Architecture & Business Process Management Demystified
- In this episode we made some references to previous episodes
- We also have some additional information about this topic here:
- Introduction to the Digital Transformation Lifecycle Mark von Rosing & Georg Etzel https://ceur-ws.org/Vol-2574/short10.pdf
- An analysis of BPM lifecycles: From a literature review to a framework proposal Rinaldo Macedo de Morais, Samir Kazan, Silvia Ines Dallavalle de Pádua, André Lucirton Costa, University of São Paulo https://www.researchgate.net/publication/262574947_An_analysis_of_BPM_lifecycles_From_a_literature_review_to_a_framework_proposal
- Digital Transformation Lifecycle Pedro Robledo https://medium.com/@pedrorobledobpm/digital-transformation-life-cycle-b9eac584785
- Business transformation method University of St Andrews https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/business-transformation/portfolio/method/
Music by Jeremy Voltz, www.jeremyvoltzmusic.com
- CP1 (Welcome)
- Whish You Knew Me (Interlude 1)
- South Wing (Outro)
Roland Woldt is a well-rounded executive with 25+ years of Business Transformation consulting and software development/system implementation experience, in addition to leadership positions within the German Armed Forces (11 years).
He has worked as Team Lead, Engagement/Program Manager, and Enterprise/Solution Architect for many projects. Within these projects, he was responsible for the full project life cycle, from shaping a solution and selling it, to setting up a methodological approach through design, implementation, and testing, up to the rollout of solutions.
In addition to this, Roland has managed consulting offerings during their lifecycle from the definition, delivery to update, and had revenue responsibility for them.
Roland is the VP of Global Consulting at iGrafx, and has worked as the Head of Software AG’s Global Process Mining CoE, as Director in KPMG’s Advisory, and had other leadership positions at Software AG/IDS Scheer and Accenture. Before that, he served as an active-duty and reserve officer in the German Armed Forces.