Episode 46 – Gamification and Performance Management
Welcome to the next episode of our podcast. Today we are talking about Gamification, a topic that we are a bit critical towards, but which seems to be here to stay (it’s a generational thing, I guess…). But the twist in this episode is how it influences the performance of your architecture or business process team.
In this episode of the podcast we are talking about:
- What is a gamification and what are the core elements?
- Why should you gamify everything (or not)?
- How do process/architecture and gamification fit?
- How to create a gamification strategy
- What are the day-to-day “mechanics” and how do you reward success?
- What does that mean for process management and architecture?
- Potential benefits of gamification
- Four examples of organizations that deployed gamification and had success with it
Ep. 46 – Gamification and Performance Management – What's Your Baseline? Enterprise Architecture & Business Process Management Demystified
- In the episode I mentioned the video of the dad who worked with his kids on a precise documentation of how to make a PB&J sandwich. We already linked to it in Episode 42 (“Structure your business architecture”), but since it is such a good parenting, here it is again. Enjoy!
- The checklist for developing a Gamification strategy:
- List of outcomes for the Gamification of Tasks – what KPIs are you looking to change?
- List out the behaviors you want to encourage that connect to your goals
- List metrics that will identify successful behavior execution
- Establish baseline goals for each metric – what is your expected score, and how will you recognize when someone / a team is excelling?
- Establish reward structures for goal achievement – what do people want? Adjust prizes and incentives based on how users are responding.
- Build a communications plan – how will you broadcast wins? What is your synchronous (notification) and asynchronous (self-service) communications plan?
- J-M’s reading list about the topic
- A Business Owner’s Guide to Gamification, DP Taylor (https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/small-business/learning-management/articles/gamification/)
- Gamification Tips for Businesses, Neil Patel (https://neilpatel.com/blog/gamification-for-better-results/)
- 15 Innovative Ways Businesses Can Leverage Gamification, Forbes Technology Council (https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2019/11/12/15-innovative-ways-businesses-can-leverage-gamification/?sh=12c37b431836)
- What is gamification?, Bi Worldwide (https://www.biworldwide.com/gamification/what-is-gamification/)
- Gamification: Playing Your Way to Better Employee Engagement, Andy Nelson (https://gethppy.com/talent-management/gamification-better-employee-engagement)
- How Gamification Positively Impacts Engagement and Productivity, Dhruv Mehta (https://engageforsuccess.org/productivity/how-gamification-positively-impacts-engagement-productivity)
- The Benefits Of Gamification In Workplace Training, Callum Rae (https://elearningindustry.com/the-benefits-of-gamification-in-workplace-training)
- What is Gamification?, Adam Uzialko (https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/4541-gamification.html)
- The Benefits of Gamification In Business, Hurix (https://www.hurix.com/benefits-gamification-in-business/)
- Worldwide Gamification Markets, 2025, Research & Markets (https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2021/12/22/2356793/28124/en/Worldwide-Gamification-Markets-2025.html)
- How Gamification Affects Motivation, Spinify (https://spinify.com/blog/how-gamification-affects-motivation/)
- Hilton Garden Inn to Use Interactive Video Game for Workforce Training, Hospitality in Technology (https://hospitalitytech.com/hilton-garden-inn-use-interactive-video-game-workforce-training)
- What Is a Gamification Strategy, and How to Create One?, Spinify (https://spinify.com/blog/what-is-a-gamification-strategy-and-how-to-create-one/)
- How PwC uses gamification to support learning, engagement, Sheryl Estrada (https://www.hrdive.com/news/how-pwc-uses-gamification-to-support-learning-engagement/582440/)
- Coca-Cola FEMSA provides training to hundreds of distributors with a videogame, GameLearn (https://www.game-learn.com/en/resources/blog/coca-cola-femsa-provides-leadership-training-to-hundreds-of-employees-with-a-serious-game/)
Music by Jeremy Voltz, www.jeremyvoltzmusic.com
- CP1 (Welcome)
- Jetstream (Interlude 1)
- Wind Will Blow (Interlude 2)
- South Wing (Outro)
Roland Woldt is a well-rounded executive with 25+ years of Business Transformation consulting and software development/system implementation experience, in addition to leadership positions within the German Armed Forces (11 years).
He has worked as Team Lead, Engagement/Program Manager, and Enterprise/Solution Architect for many projects. Within these projects, he was responsible for the full project life cycle, from shaping a solution and selling it, to setting up a methodological approach through design, implementation, and testing, up to the rollout of solutions.
In addition to this, Roland has managed consulting offerings during their lifecycle from the definition, delivery to update, and had revenue responsibility for them.
Roland is the VP of Global Consulting at iGrafx, and has worked as the Head of Software AG’s Global Process Mining CoE, as Director in KPMG’s Advisory, and had other leadership positions at Software AG/IDS Scheer and Accenture. Before that, he served as an active-duty and reserve officer in the German Armed Forces.